The Court of Appeal of Tanzania at Dar es Salaam (Court) has clarified the meaning of Rule 33 (3) of the Court of Appeal Rules, 2009 (Rules) which impose a bar for advocates with less than five years of practice post admission to appear before the Court of Appeal of Tanzania.
IMMMA Advocates offers tax consulting services as well as handling litigation involving tax disputes. The Tax practice offers comprehensive and practical legal advice on numerous tax matters including income tax, customs and excise duty, VAT disputes, transfer pricing issues and international taxation. Our clients range from local to international companies.
Experience has included advising:
- A multinational provider of ground and air cargo services in challenging a tax assessment issued by the Tanzania Revenue Authority in excess of USD230,000 before the Tanzania Tax Appeal Tribunal
- An Australian drilling company in a USD1 million income tax dispute against the Tanzania Revenue Authority
- A container inspection company which was a subsidiary of international container inspection company in a USD8 million VAT dispute against the Tanzania Revenue Authority
- An international oil and gas exploration company in its income tax disputes with the Tanzania Revenue Authority. The matter involved a withholding tax assessment of about USD15 million
- Semco Maritime and Rolls–Royce on various tax issues in their tender for procurement of heavy fuel oil (HFO) based power generating plant of 60 MW for Tanzania Electric Supply Company Limited (TANESCO)
- A US based communication company on various tax issues relating to tax obligations, customs duties, and return filing obligations arising out of certain sales of equipment and other activities that the client intended to undertake in Tanzania
- A mining explosives company in Tanzania in a tax dispute against the revenue authority involving over USD2.5 million
- The Zanzibar Association of Tourism Investors on the amendment made to the Value Added (Amendment) Act of 2013 limiting the requirement to register for VAT by hotels
- Two subsidiaries of an international gold mining company in their withholding tax dispute and Tax Refund claims with the Tanzania Revenue Authority. The amount involved was to the tune of USD16 million The matters were successfully resolved
Plans to table in Parliament the Personal Data Protection Bill, advanced stage negotiations with Konoike Construction Company Limited, introduction of a road tax and other news.
IMMMA team is delighted to welcome back our senior associates Ms. Burure Ngocho who was away for her secondment in DLA Piper, London, UK.
On the 12th June 2018, the Finance Bill, 2018 which aims at imposing and altering certain taxes, duties, levies, fees and to amend certain written laws relating to the collection and management of public revenues was published to the special Gazette of the United Republic of Tanzania No. 4 (the Bill).