Our restructuring lawyers have significant experience advising clients on investigation, enforcement, litigation and asset recovery in Africa and on a multijurisdictional basis. We advise clients on all matters relating to public and private companies in underperforming and distressed situations.
We manage assignments from the mid-market to the largest national and international restructurings and insolvencies. Our experience also extends to any contentious issues arising from restructurings and insolvencies.
We serve a diverse client base that includes debtors, lenders, government entities, trustees, shareholders, senior executives, as well as distressed debt and asset buyers and investors.
Experience has included advising:
- Bank of Africa Tanzania Limited in the restructuring and consolidation of shares by BOA Group S.A. Our role included drafting all relevant documentation necessary for the transaction, advising on the relevant approvals required to conclude the transaction and applying for and securing the necessary approvals from the Fair Commission. The client wanted to streamline its banking operations which required a restructure of its banking group across Africa, including Tanzania
- On the restructuring of two sister companies in the Plastic and Logistics industries resulting in the winding up of one company and acquisition of the assets by the surviving company. The transaction was for the purpose of streamlining the group’s operations and cost efficiency. The firm drafted all transaction documents and advised on the competition approvals required for the transaction
- A syndication of lenders led by Stanbic Bank Tanzania Ltd acting as the lead arranger on restructuring of Kagera Sugar Limited loan involving TZS. 81 Billion which was secured by a sovereign guarantee
- Berkley Energy and Sinotan Tanzania Limited on a 100 MW wind power project in the Tanzania highlands in Iringa as lead counsel. The Firm is assisting in negotiations in power purchase agreement, restructuring of the local company as an investment vehicle and advising on the legal aspects of financing for the project
- As project counsel by Standard Chartered Bank on all aspects of the restructuring of the financing of the IPTL 100 MW power plant in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. We have advised on all aspects of the documentation and security, leading onto the enforcement of the lenders’ rights and the appointment of a share charge Receiver. The team has also acted on the arrangements for the resumption of operations at the plant
DLA Piper Africa achieves impressive results in the newly released 2020 edition of The Legal 500: Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA)edition