Our Partner Burure Ngocho, the Deputy head of Corporate Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) Department, has contributed to the Legal 500 Mergers & Acquisitions Country Comparative Guides 2021.
Ms. Ngocho is Partner at IMMMA Advocates, whose practice areas include general corporate, mergers and acquisitions, banking and finance, and energy and minerals. She has assisted various recognized international non-governmental organizations information and registration as well as providing general legal advice.
Ms. Ngocho has worked on numerous successful transactions and has worked well as part of teams handling some of the major and transaction in Tanzania. She has also assisted numerous major clients to successfully obtain clearance for mergers and acquisitions occurring locally or indirectly.
Experience has included advising:
- The Government of the United Republic of Tanzania on a US$10 billion port, rail, road, and special economic zone project in Bagamoyo.
- Successfully handling the competition merger notification for the acquisition of the largest independent power producer in Tanzania valued at over 614.6 Million USD.
- On the acquisition of rights in an onshore oil and gas exploration block in the Northern part of the Tanzania by a prominent international oil & gas exploration and production company.Advising on the regulatory framework for a greenfield cement plant project valued at US$300 million. This included drafting of various transaction agreements, attending negotiations where we represented the project owners and setting up the SPV for the project.
- Successfully handling the competition merger notification in respect of the acquisition of numerous retail petrol stations between two leading oil marketing companies’ worth over 16 Million USD.
- Merger clearance for the largest telecommunication towers company in Tanzania.
- Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania and all Courts subordinate thereto (except Primary Courts) – Tanganyika Law Society – 2013
- BPP Law School, Legal Practice Course 2010
- University of Westminster, LLB Commercial Law (Hons) 2007
- Recognised by IFLR1000 (2020) as a Rising Star
- May 2019 to date, Partner at IMMMA Advocates, DLA Piper Africa in Tanzania
- March 2015 to April 2019, Senior Associate, IMMMA Advocates, DLA Piper Africa in Tanzania
- Aug 2011 – Feb 2015, Associate at IMMMA Advocates, DLA Piper Africa in Tanzania
- Jan 2008 - May 2011, Legal Assistant, London-based law firm, United Kingdom
- June 2007- Jan 2008, Legal Secretary, London-based law firm, United Kingdom
- 2006 - Legal Researcher, Royal Courts of Justice Family Division Citizen Advice Bureau, London, United Kingdom.
- Tanganyika Law Society
- East African Law Society
In 2017, drastic and sudden changes affected the mining sector in mainland Tanzania.
On the 17 June 2020, Finance Act No. 8 of 2020 was passed into law. A number of laws were amended including the Fair Competition Act Cap 285 R.E 2009.